Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour

It is that time of year again when the world is called on to turn their lights off.  For an hour.  For 1 night. 

If it gets people to change their way of living long term then I am all for it but I don't believe that it does.

I think that most of the people that turn their light off tonight will have them on tomorrow even when they don't need to.  TV's will be left on when they go outside...they will have a long shower, sprinklers will be on when it's been raining...
Christmas lights will get bigger and more brighter every year...car racing will still be going on...good usable stuff will still get taken to the tip...

I don't have lights on here unless I absolutely have to.  The TV is not on unless I am watching something and is turned off afterwards.  There are nights when it is not on at all.  If we didn't have one I wouldn't miss it.
I do have the computer on too much but the monitor is turned off when it's not being used.

So why does it bother me?  I dunno but it does.  Am I a hypocrite?

If you participate in Earth Hour please consider tomorrow night as well.  And all the rest of your nights.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Barb.

    We only have one light on at night and the lights are solar powered. Everyone is trained in our house to turn things off when not in use.

    Everyone should be reducing their electricity usage all the time, same with water...

    Have a great weekend,

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true, Barb. This is exactly how I feel. In fact I mentally 'boycotted' Earth Hour - 'The Duke watched TV, I worked on the computer AND the washing machine and oven were both going!! However, we have solar panels and generate about double the amount of electricity that we use.

    I will be following your blog from now on. Please have a look at mine http://organisedcastle.wordpress.com/

    Cheers

    Fairy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I neatly got around Earth Hour one year. I turned everything off and went to the store. Well, I was going anyway. I think EH is a symbolic representation that actually cuts down on electricity for that one bit of time and makes people aware of our plight here on Earth. But, I do see reason behind your despair. I will participate tonight.(Sat morn here)

    ReplyDelete