Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lotsalemons. Lemon Meringue Pudding.

We have LOTS of lemons and we have eggs so of course I had to make a favorite dessert.  But I can't make a decent pastry yet and I remember reading a recipe in a Take5 or That's Life magazine that didn't have a crust so here we are.  This one doesn't seem to be as lemony as the one I made last week but it is still good.  What a shame Hubby doesn't eat dessert.. wink.

Recipe below for anyone that wants to give it a try.
Lemon Meringue Pudding.
Filling.
2 eggs yolks
1 egg.
1cup sugar.    I used 3/4cup.
rind and juice of 2 lemons.  I use 3 or 4 as our lemons are small.
1 cup hot water.
3 Tbs cornflour.
1/2 cup cold water.

Meringue
Eggwhites, 2.
1/2cup caster suger.  I didn't have any so used normal sugar so it was grainy and I used less than 1/2 cup but think it was still too sweet.  Will use less next time.

Seperate eggs, yolks in microwave proof dish or pot, whites in seperate bowl.

In microwaveproof dish mix yolks, egg, sugar.  Add lemon rind, juice and hot water
Mix cornflour with 1/2cup cold water.  Add to other lemon-mix stuff.
Microwave for 40sec, stir, nuke again 40sec, stir.  Do this for 3 or 4 minutes until it is the thickness you like.  It gets thicker when cooled.

Beat eggwhites until stiff, beat in sugar, pile on top of lemon mixture and bake in oven for 15-20min.  Until lightly brown.  My oven temp was around 200.

The lemon mixture can be made in a pot on the stovetop but for me it is easier to use the microwave.   We only have a wood stove and the big belly gets hot when stiring this on the stove.

Daughter T wanted me to make her one as she tried and liked the one I made last week.  I got her to make one herself here last night while I was making this.  She says hers is too lemony for them.  I know, she's strange.  Mine is more lemony than hers and I don't think that it is lemony enough so try it then modify to taste.
I used more rind than she did.  Next time she will use less, I will use more.

We did a tastetest on both of these and I liked the texture of hers more than mine.  She didn't cook hers for as long as I did so I will nuke for less time next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment