Monday, January 24, 2011

Book 2, The Valley of Horses.

The second book in the Earth's Children series was just as great as the first one.

It tells of Ayla's life after being banished from the Clan and of her wanting to find *the others*, people like her. Of her not knowing where the others might be and finding a cave and how she goes about setting up home there by herself and gets prepared to spend a winter there alone.  It tells of her having to learn to go against Clan beliefs so she can survive.
It also tells of Jondalar who undertakes a journey with his brother, how they meet another group of people and stay with them, what happens with them, why they leave and how it comes about that Ayla rescues Jondalar from Baby, a cave lion that she raised from a cub.
The two people then spend time in this valley, learning about their different ways, until they decide to leave.

How this women spends a few years in this valley by herself is a great read and her meeting and having to learn the ways of a stranger adds interest.


3 comments:

  1. When I was young I had a person in my life like Ayla's Broud... if it had not been for these books I don't know what I would have done... I read the first as a young teen and they kept me strong.

    I've been a bit upset at having to wait until I was 43 to get the series finished... her last book is said to be at the publishers. I'll be glad to have it finished. My daughter (now an adult herself) says she wants to name her first daughter Ayla in honor of the character who kept her mom alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, Wow. So they are better than just a good read. I thought so to. You must be a very strong woman.

    I'm glad that I am only finding them now, I would not like it too much if I couldn't get them all read one after the other.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I am glad you had something to keep you strong and sane during your 'Broud' time. I love the name 'Ayla,' but my children were named! Some day, I will find a use for it. I wrote a short story about someone name Layla, so maybe I have used it already.

    Barb, you know how I felt, reading one book and checking for years for the next one. The amorous episodes caught my breath away since they come from nowhere and seldom. They are a far cry from the romance novel episodes. (trying to keep this pg rated)

    ReplyDelete