Thursday, October 4, 2012

All Mowed Out.

I had a lovely surprise when I arrived home after work on Tuesday and another on Wed...Daughter T had been out and mowed the frontyard for me and then came out again and whippersnippered around the front areas that needed it.  It all looks good so a big thankyou T.
And that is why I am so sore now!   I'm blaming that anyway but the bikerides over the last week will have something to do with it as well.  Nothing a good nights sleep won't fix so I hope I get one tonight.

Anyway, she did such a good job I thought, seeing as I was home all day, that I should do my bit so I started out the back.  It's not finished but after a few hours throughout the day it is looking a lot better and I should be able to get some more done tomorrow.
And I must say...it does smell lovely when I mow over the fallen and hidden Passionfruit.  Such a nice smell.
I have a bag of them inside now waiting for someone to eat them and I will make up some more yoghurt tomorrow to add some to. Divine.

Pulling grass out of the tank-gardens and searching amongst the weeds for strawberries has shown that the Slaters are back in full force.  I have set up leaves so they will all collect in one area then I will pour the hot water over them...That will get rid of a few thousand but it will take awhile to get the numbers down again.  There were a few chooks out there this afternoon but they were more interested in the plants.

We're still eating from the gardens but as things are being pulled nothing is replacing them so that could cause some hunger come Summer time unless I get out there and get some things planted.  Hopefully that will all be able to be done next week but there is so much to do.  I have been slack and let everything get out of hand...again...but a few fine days and a bit of effort should get things somewhat under control.

Are you planting yet?  What sorts of  veg do you plant where you are at this time of year?

5 comments:

  1. There was a snake in the basement. I suspect it was what was eating the one egg I was getting each day. It was a rat snake, so I am not afraid. Of course, it can shock me if it were underfoot.

    Why was the cow mooing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I would hate! a snake anywhere in my house, regardless of what sort. Is it still there or did you get it outside somehow...

      Barb.

      Delete
  2. Hi I found your blog and am interested in seeing what you grow etc. I am in Mandurah and I have planted a few things in the garden. I did a big plant out early August of Lettuce, leeks, broccoli, cabbage, snow peas, tomatoes all doing well i am picking lettuce, the broc and cabbage need a couple more weeks and the snow peas have just started flowering also the cherry tomatoes are starting to flower i am looking forward to harvesting more. I have just planted climbing beans and more lettuce, cucumber, capsicum, chilli, spring onions and zucchini plants and have a plan to plant some corn, watermelon, rocket andmaybe pumpkin seeds (i never seem to have much luck with pumpkin) and i have never grown watermelon before. Actually if all that manages to grow well i shall be quite pleased with myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'd be interested in how you found me...Your garden sounds like it's doing so much better than mine at the moment. I really need to get my butt into gear.
      We should be able to grow the same sorts of stuff...
      Watermelon, I really want to get more than 3 this year!
      Challenge coming on?...

      Barb.

      Delete
    2. I actually found your blog through the simple savings website. Is watermelon easy to grow? I just planted some in some pots today so hoping they will grow that way. Sounds like you are having a hard time with the whippersnipper and lawn mower luckily i dont need to do either at the moment with a hubby home every weekend and 3 teenage sons it gets done for me. :-) Problem is with all those males i have to keep feeding them!!! Helena

      Delete