Monday, August 26, 2013

The Good Guys And The Not So Good.

I served a big tough looking bloke at Vinnies this afternoon, he was buying a cute little yellow teddy bear. It was $2 but the bloke said it was worth more and gave me $4. I thanked him then made some smart remark about it keeping him warm tonight and he says that he, and other truckies, have these teddies in their truck so when they come across accidents they have something to give to any children that might be there and scared. I pushed his money back and said to take more if he wanted them. He said no, he didn't have a lot of room but as he had used one the week before he wanted to replace it. He gave me the $4 and said call it a donation. How kind and generous is he and all the others that do the same. I was telling one of the other volunteers about him and she told me about a woman that came in last week looking for material to buy as she makes bags and toys for needy kids. She was given the material and was really surprised that we would do that. These people are kind and generous and I don't think what we did was anything special, they are the special ones. In contrast we get people in asking for welfare, the same people over and over again and then they are seen down the pub drinking and smoking...

3 comments:

  1. Awww, bless them. Truckies here wouldn't even give that a thought...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story, I am so glad you shared it. Carol

    ReplyDelete