Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lemon Spread.

Tonight I did a comparison cook off on lemon spread using cornflour only or cornflour and custard powder.
I stopped buying custard powder when I started making custard the real way, using eggs but as I had been given a couple of packets I thought that I'd try both and see if one was better or not.

I used a different recipe than the last lot and this one is way more lemony.  I like it but I don't think that Hubby will.

Lemon Spread.
1cup lemon juice.  Instead of water.
3/4cup sugar.
1/3cup lemon juice. 
1Dsp cornflour.  2 if not using the custard powder.
1Dsp custard powder.
Heat sugar and cup LJ.  Dissolve powders in the 1/3 cup LJ then stir into the heated mix.
I didn't add grated rind this time as I used all juice and didn't think it would need any.

The spreads taste very similar, not sure if I can pick a difference.  There *may* be a slight difference but not to say one is better.  The mix with the added custard powder is more yellow but that is not a good enough reason for me to start buying it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment