Monday, March 18, 2013

March Mulchness.

We're midway through March and the gardens are nearly bare.  We can pick Capsicum, Tomatoes and Zucchini.  One little chook keeps escaping and that has eaten all the Lettuce and Silverbeet.  A different chook to the last escapee.   There is Sweet Potato and normal Potato if I want to go did them up.   Eggplant if we get desperate.  I had to buy a Lettuce yesterday because husband wanted Tacos for tea.  Bad foodgrower, I need a slap.
The grapes are just about finished, we have had 3 small watermelons and there are a few left, nearly ready to pick. The Granny Smith apples are still OK though the parrots have had a lot of those, what is left out there next week will be picked and brought in.   The chooks are not laying enough to make it worth keeping them.  It's all a bit sad. 

But!  I have Luffa.  Quite a lot of Luffas and that makes me smile whenever I go out there and see them.  I don't know what I am supposed to do with them yet, I will need to research that but Luffas.  How cool is that.   Daughter has bought these from markets and uses them in her shower and for washing her dishes so if I can get them to that stage we will all be pleased.  There are big ones, smaller ones, small ones coming on, heaps of flowers that the bees seem to love...It's all good there.

Soon there will be Chokos and that will make me smile too.

I also have mulch.  Or stuff that I will use as mulch.  There is a lot of it.  Too much?  Maybe.  But probably not.  You can never have too much mulch can you?  The bloke up the road had rolls of silage in his paddock.  It was old when he got it and in the 2 years that it has been sitting in his paddock it has started falling apart.  His sheep wouldn't eat it and he needed to get rid of it.  I offered to take some of it off his hands.  Another friend offered to bring it down for me, using his tractor.  Bonus.  They brought it down and dropped one bale over the fence into the chookpen. 

The rest was dumped outside the fence in the verge.  Bugger, now what do I do with it.  Because there is a lot.  Too much even.  I spent a day and a bit getting one roll pulled apart and wheelbarrowed out the back and onto the gardens.  The silage was wet so was very heavy.  I then spent a couple of days cursing myself for not getting them to drop it all over the fence.


Then these people came to visit me and I may have moaned a bit about it all.  He brought his tractor back and most of these are now over the fence and in the chookpen.  Two of them are out the back waiting to be pulled apart and spread out under some trees.    Thank you SO MUCH C and T.  I appreciate you doing that for me.
I have a bit of a problem in that the first roll that I put on the tank gardens was full of slaters...so now the tank gardens are full of slaters.  HoHum...Something else to work on.  I need to pull the other rolls apart so the chooks can get the bleedin' slaters that are in them.  Only 6 rolls and if I manage 1 a week...I'm hoping they'll all be done by Spring.

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of mulch! I am sure that you will find lots to do with it. My chickens would really enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete