Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bread and Butter Choko.

Hubby wasn't too keen on me making these so asked that I half the recipe first so as not to waste too much stuff. 
I did, well I tried to.  Apparently I don't know what half of 1.8litres is but lucky I had a taste test and the too sweet mix told me I must have had it wrong.  Add in the extra 300ml vinegar and all is fine.


Below is my original recipe but this time I halved it and used Choko instead of Cucumbers. 


Bread & Butter Pickles 

8 large chokos, sliced
3 large onions, sliced
4 large capsicums
1 cup of salt
9 plus cups of cold water
1.8 litres  white.
  The original recipe calls for malt vinegar but I don't like that so never have any.
1.5 kilo sugar
1 Tbs turmeric
1 tsp mustard seed
Wash and slice the cucumbers, slice the onions and capsicums. Combine the vegetables in one or two very large bowls, sprinkle with the salt (do this in layers as you are adding the veggies) and add the cold water (you will need more than nine cups!) Let stand for 3 hours then drain without rinsing.
In a large saucepan combine the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, then add the vegetables. Bring back to the boiling point but do not boil.
Pack into hot sterilized jars and seal Chill before serving.
Very good on bread and butter, but serve with cheese and cold meats, too.

It tastes good but is a bit darker, more cloudy than the cucumber one I did last year.  I possibly (pretty sure) used more than a 1/2 Tbs Turmeric...HoHum, still good though.  

We now have 4 jars in the cupboard and 1 open in the fridge.  And I have Hubbies permission to make more.
I will add some red banana shaped capsicum/chilli to the next lot, for a bit of colour.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, go team!! Awesome use of an abundant resource. Next time we are there we'll have to taste some

    ReplyDelete