Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Candied Lemon Peel.

I have a cold and so am dosing up on hot lemon and honey drinks and was wondering if there was anything that I could use the lemon skins for.

This morning I was over on the Simple Savings website and found a thread that mentioned Candied Lemon Peel so I am going to give it a go this afternoon. 

Well the afternoon is half over and I have made a batch of this.  It tastes quite nice but I'm not sure what I will do with it now. Some suggestions were to have it on ice cream or add it to cakes and puddings but as I don't have any ice cream here and I don't bake I will need to find other uses.  Or I could just eat it plain, it is nice enough for that.

It wasn't hard to do, a bit fiddly but as I was inside watching a movie and had the fire going anyway it was no drama.


Candied Peel

1 cup of lemon peel, cut into strips
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water

The recipe said to boil the peel a few times in fresh water and I think this was to remove any bitterness from the peel.
.
I put the sugar in the water and brought it to the boil and then added the peel.
I let it simmer until there wasn't much liquid left and then took it off the fire. 

I will dry some overnight on a cake rack and put the rest in a jar in the fridge.

The recipe says to store in airtight container.  If done *properly* it should last a few months.

I have just had a thought and now wonder what the peel would taste like if simmered in honey.  I will report back if I get around to trying that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment