I needed something to mix with the beeswax to keep it soft and rubinable so onto Google to see what others had to say about it all.
I found a recipe for boot polish, it looked simple and even though it was early and cold I decided to give it a go. Recipe said I needed beeswax. Yep, got that. And Olive oil. Ummm, no. No oil. But wait! Yes I do have oil. I had the remains of the 20 litres of old cooking oil that we collected from the café for treating Scaley leg mites on the chooks. Too manky too use? Not around here!
And because it has been so cold the inside fire was burning. Bonus.
Waited until the wax had melted, took pot off of the stove and put it onto the sink. Outside to let the chooks out and feed the sheep. Back inside only to find that the wax had hardened in the jar and was unpourable and the jar was too deep to get the wax out. Clever...not.
Put the pot and jar back on the stove to remelt the wax mixture, this time staying inside and having a hunt around for some tins to put the mixture in. I have more than a dozen of the tins that I wanted to use...somewhere....Finally found a couple, poured the melted wax into the tins and let it sit and set. Looks good and no manky oil smell so that's good.
I used a rag and rubbed the mixture into a boot. The left foot boot, the one on the right in the photo, is the boot I did first. The wax rubbed into the boot, making it look dark.
I haven't done husbands boots yet as he has been wearing them all day but I will try and get his done tomorrow before he puts them on and ask for his opinion tomorrow sometime. Not that he will have one. To him boots is boots, whether they are clean and shiny and waterproof or not.
But I had fun. I made me some bootpolish and it made me smile.